Monday, August 14, 2006

Subjects and Objects

I've been thinking about the words "subject" and "object" lately. What do they mean in light of faith?

I want to be a subject. I want to be something that people talk about and consider; an active player in the dramas of life. I want to be worthy of careful study for those who wonder what I'm all about.
More than those though I want to be a subject of the king. One who lives under the care and direction of one who knows infinitely more than I do and loves completely. I want to be willing to subject myself to any challenge and cost in response to that love as I discover more and more about who my king really is.

In contrast, I don't want to be an object, one who is passive, one who stands in the way and disputes things. I don't want to be someone who life happens to.

Or maybe I just spend too much thinking about words...

No comments: