Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Labour day, Baseboards, and Talking To God

I spent a lot of the long weekend installing new baseboards and quarter round in my house. It's a funny thing. If you walked into my living room you probably wouldn't notice that it was done, but somehow it makes a real difference in the atmosphere of the room. It just brightens the space and makes it feel more complete with the new white baseboards rather than the old plain wood ones. It's a subtle difference in terms of observations but in terms less visceral it's dramatic.
So what? Well, in my typical spiritual ruminations I was comparing baseboards to prayer. I think a lot of prayer is essentially invisible. And I certainly can't prove that it makes a significant difference if someone wants observational proof. Yet somehow praying is dramatic in my life. Not so much for the objective answers, but for the less measurable but more significant way my life beomes brighter and more complete (not better necessarily, at least in the way most of us consider better).
Now, here's another thought. I never would have chosen to do the baseboards without Kristen's prodding. I wouldn't have thought it would make a real difference in the space or be worth the time and money involved. I was wrong (nothing newsworthy about that, Kristen is almost always right about household aesthetics). Often I need someone to draw me into prayer because I don't believe or can't remember that it really makes any difference.

No comments: