Tuesday, September 15, 2009

When can I walk to school?

Shortly after getting out of the van from dropping off three children at school and daycare this morning I came across this from Al Hsu.
Life for me is in some kind of constant tension between competing convictions. I want my children to be confident, curious, and independent; but I worry whenever they are out of sight for too long. I want to minimize environmental impact; but driving less is terribly inconvenient. I want to spend more time connecting with my neighbours; but our own calendar already feels full.
The road to hell may be paved with good intentions, it is always easy to identify the sell-outs and compromises in the lives of others. When I hear of those doing much more good than I am I feel guilty. At the same time I can't imagine the sheer research load of doing something like Ben Bowen does.
Anybody else enjoying the angst?

No comments: