Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Using the Bible

Christianity Today (which I don't always agree but often find interesting) has produced an interesting tool to help people assess the way we understand and interpret the Bible.
This is a far more important issue than some people realise because so much of what confuses and divides Christians comes down to this issue. How literally do we use the Bible and how much do we believe it is open to interpretation and opinion? Unfortunately, fewer and fewer of the church people I talk to are even willing to consider the positions of the Bible thoughtfully, let alone acknowledge the biasses that inform and affect us.
I'd love to be on a church staff or leadership team that took this quiz and used it as a tool for a significant discussion on the hows and whys of using the Bible. It might be challenging and even heated at times, but it would reveal a level of interaction that would have the potential to bring about something powerful and transformative to a church.
I find myself in tension on a lot off this. I want to hold to a conservative view that holds Scripture as important and relevant, but I resist some of the hardness and apparent insensitivity I see in most conservatives.
That being the case I'm not surprised that I scored a 62 and rate as a moderate.
I wonder if that will change over time?

No comments: