Thursday, January 15, 2009

The Root Of All Evil

(Note; the title above is a misquote from the Bible where it actually says "The love of money is the root of all kinds of evil" 1 Timothy 6:10)

The last year or so has seen some very public shame for a number of religious leaders who share in common the belief that God wants those he loves to be healthy and rich. The basic idea is that if we give generously to God (usually through the leader's organization) God will reward us with material prosperity. It's a very appealing invitation, especially for those who are economically struggling. Unfortunately it doesn't hold up to sound theology or practical observation.

This article gives the sad story of some of those leaders and how their followers are holding on to the teaching.

I don't really blame people for getting caught up in this. It's a very enticing idea; God will make me rich if only I stop sinning, give enough, pray enough, do enough. If I'm not rich it's my own fault for not trusting God the way I should.

The thing is, thee is an element of truth hidden here. It is a biblical principle that God provides us with all that we have so that we can bless others. Often, those who are faithful in giving their time, energy, love, abilities, and yes, money, do receive more in return. But the key to the whole thing is that it isn't a mechanical transaction.

We don't get to say to God, "I gave you $2000, now you owe me $10 000". It's all God's to begin with.

Truth only is true when it's equally true for everyone. Do the prosperity believers believe that those living in abject poverty are more sinful than the North American elite consumers? Do they think the only way God shows love is with cash?

I know this is a hugely loaded topic. I know there are tons of questions, for instances, objections, cautions, and pitfalls here. But I also know that there are a lot of people suffering with undeserved shame and false hope because they are convinced that they are only a little more donation away from easy street.

If the Bible teaches us anything, it's that there are no easy streets this side of heaven. Some prosperity preachers are finding that out now.

No comments: