Tuesday, June 17, 2008

I'm not alone...

I've recently started reading the blog of marketing guy Seth Godin. Today he said something (at the end of a post about recognizing how truly privileged we are) that I needed to post:

The object isn’t to be perfect. The goal isn’t to hold back until you’ve created something beyond reproach. I believe the opposite is true. Our birthright is to fail and to fail often, but to fail in search of something bigger than we can imagine. To do anything else is to waste it all.

I love how he condemns both perfectionism and ambivalence. Spending several years neck deep in one of the most performance-driven communities in Canada gave me a strong distaste for the unquenchable lust for overachieving. At the same time I do have respect for high standards and commitment. Seth captures exactly what I think worth doing poorly is about. thanks

No comments: