Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Two things not to be discussed in proper company

Religion and Politics are crucial topics but are rarely addressed with sincerity and humility in the media. Today I blog-hopped my way to this very interesting piece on how Barack Obama's faith informs his political role. Obama says:
Well, look, obviously as a Christian I believe in the values that are laid out in Scripture. I reflect on them often. I reflect on the lessons of Scripture as I’m going through the day. I pray frequently. I wrestle with doubts and try to figure out whether I’m doing the right thing, am I operating in an honest and moral way that is true to my religious precepts? Sometimes I may falter. So I guess the point is, I approach my work or I guess my faith is part of everything that I do. And I don’t think there’s a clear separation between my faith and how I try to live my life. And I certainly think that part of my motivation in the work that I do is a belief in what I consider the core precept of Christianity in addition to Christ dying for your sins and that is treating your brothers and sisters as you would have them treat you. A sense of empathy and a belief in the golden rule. And that’s what I try to apply to my work and what I do every day.

Regardless of your view of his stance on issues (I tend to like his positions for the most part), this is the kind of sincerity I appreciate.

No comments: