Saturday, August 09, 2008

Olympic Spiritual

Watching the opening day of the Beijing games. I love the variety and constant supply of sports, but I generally dislike the opening and closing ceremonies. I'm good with the parade of nations, athlete's oath, and torch lighting; it's all the weird artsy stuff I can't connect with. My favourite moment is often that moment in the closing ceremonies when the athletes all mingle and celebrate in the infield of the Olympic stadium. Seeing all these people, the stress of competition relieved, coming together in something that looks a lot like joy is kinda exhilarating, even from my couch. It gives me a little longing for heaven.

Today I found this article from a favourite blogger, Al Hsu. He shares my idea, but adds a lot to it as a Taiwanese American.

Maybe it's a little cheesy to try to take a universally powerfully tradition and claim it as some kind of Christian metaphor. But I'm not saying it's Christian, just that it puts me in mind of something sacred to me.

No comments: